Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Ok. I can't remember the last time I took a bath, read a book, or went to bed on time. The past year has been a blur. I am really satisfied with the work I'll be presenting for my exhibition, but there have been all kinds of small and large sacfifices. I am scared to admit how relieved I'll be when this semester is over. I have been wondering lately, what is so admirable about complete consumption? It seems like that is how "real artists" are defined. To admit that I'm excited about taking a break from school is embarrassing. I question whether I can hold my own in the company of "real" artists. My mind wanders from babies to marriage to God and I seek to experience beauty in the simple pleasures of life. My loves are very domestic related. I don't feel pressured into any of the things I involve myself in. I clean and cook because the acts themselves satisfy something deep inside of me. My artwork gives form to those daily musings. I enjoy connecting with people through a smile, a meal or art. What fuels my desire to create art stems from the same desire that fuels me to cook, clean and nurture my family. I treasure relationships. I value life. I love to share and be trusted to listen. It is for this reason that I enjoy viewing art. I feel in some cases, that the artist has intentionally divulged a little of themselves in an effort to reach out. To share their view of the world around them. Art that invites, inspires.

No comments: